Innocent Decision
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
 
Malacca was good. The trip was good but the firewalking was not satisfying. Haha...

I really love Vaanthu’s mum and dad. Of course, Vaanthu too. We had a great chat. Very long one. We talked for hours when most of them were sleeping in the bus. The bus was freaking cold. But we didn’t seem to feel it because our chat was so ‘hot’…

I’ve got a lot to say about the Malacca tour but I won’t.

I was having lunch at Saravana’s (in Malaysia). I was sitting opposite Vaanthu and there was this old man sitting beside me. Well, since it had been extremely long meeting her, we had so much to talk. So while we were eating, we were talking. And the old man beside me said “Can you stop talking? You have been talking since the time u started eating. Please give respect to your food and stop talking.”. Like what the hell!!! As much as I wanted to retaliate, I just remained quiet and kept this smile on my face. I was fasting lah, so didn’t want to argue back.

Whichever idiot said that not talking while eating is a symbol of respect to food. HOW??? What’s the logic behind that? I’m not here to defy or totally slam what the old ones say. But seriously, think about it. What’s the logic behind not talking when eating? I feel that by talking while eating, I’m enjoying my food. What’s the point of keeping shut – feeling uncomfortable that you can’t talk and eat the food? I enjoy my food so I talk and enjoy it more. The basic way that one can show his respect to food is to pray before eating, think of all the people in the world who have got no food and are starving, not waste food, not complain about the food that one gets and let others enjoy their meal. If one cannot do all these and says that by shutting up, one is respecting the food, I think its utter rubbish. I agree, it is dinning etiquette that you don’t talk with food in your mouth (and I wasn’t doing that by the way). But in a normal restaurant (or more like a coffeshop/kopitiam), dining etiquette doesn’t require much of an importance.

And I found out that I am a rather modern Hindu. I know that by saying this many will think that I go against most of the Hindu “laws”. Well no. I just don’t follow the Hindu believes blindly. I would like to know a reason behind what I do. And if that doesn’t sound logical, most probably I won’t follow it.

Most of the believes that I have heard of are all what the old people (aunties and uncles and the 1940s and 1920s generation) have passed down. And the people nowadays, just follow them blindly. As much as I find it funny, I really would try my best to find a perspective that will not mock that believe. But at times, there isn’t and so I will just scrape that believe. It’s just me.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives
June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]