Innocent Decision
Friday, October 31, 2008
 

One burden gone. That is how I felt after doing my H2 Tamil Literature A level paper today. Haha. Apparently, Vitz felt the same way too. Really. Trust me. Only Vitz and I know how much we mugged for Tamil Literature paper. We sat at the RP tables, using the light that Karthik’s father pays for (only those that works are paid by him, according to Karthik), spending weekdays and weekends doing just TL Lit.

I was sure prepared when I went in to the exam venue. But the moment I opened the paper, I was so sure that I am far away from my A grade. I had prepared very much for this particular story (that my teacher said would definitely come out) and there was no question on that! DAMN!!! The poetry questions were equally disappointing. I remember crapping my way through for one question, writing a lot of psychological stuff! Hopefully I can get my A. But I’m prepared to see a B next year.

Before going to school for my paper, GOD knows why I was thinking about my life in ICS and all the people involved in ICS in one way or another. And I realized that I really admire Aunty Shini (original name: Dharshini). She’s like one of the genuine people I have seen in NYJC. Very rare to genuine Indians in Singapore. Talk about seeing one in NY when the Indian population is SO small.

Honestly, she is just simply herself whenever I see her. You can hardly find anything she says or does fake. As far as I have known her she’s someone who is quite adaptable but at the same time has her own limits. I remember how she suffered during Puyal ’08, having to choreograph the dances. The dancers on the other hand were super irritating, because they don’t turn up for practices on time. Some don’t even attend practice sessions lah. Haha. I knew deep down, she was sure angry. But she kept cool throughout the whole of Puyal time, till the end. She was such a great help during Puyal, especially with the dance.

I still remember how we chose the dance songs. We used the songs in my handphone, walked around the school, hunting for Cedar Girls (because it was briefing day that day). After that day, we got Moorthy to cut the songs. I remember how we wanted to give up half way. And how we scraped “Neruppae” song from the medley, because it was simply hard to choreograph and we didn’t have the time to teach the dances. Seriously, after teaching them for like weeks, some still couldn’t even get the steps for the first song. Aunty Shini was so organized in her dance. She SMS-ed everyone, like almost everyday (each SMS was like 3 pages long), telling them to practice their dance and bring their costumes.

Oh. The Alumni. Haha. They really pissed the hell out of me, the moment they interfered into Puyal show. I mean, I appreciate their effort to help us make the show a better one, but at the wrong time! I remember this particular alumnus whom Shini and I hated to the core. That person was just so crude about the dance. Even then Aunty Shini never showed her temper to anyone and worked together with the Puyal team. AND YOU KNOW WHAT. HER MUM ACTAULLY DIDN’T KNOW THAT SHE WAS HELPING OUT IN PUYAL. She practically lied to her mum everyday saying she is studying in school, school ended later and blab la, just to help with the dance. And of course, I really appreciate her courage for doing the opening dance (Bharathanatyam) on her own. I remember how afraid she was to do it. But she didn’t complain when we asked her to do it. Instead, she silently practiced at home and did a good performance on the actual day (although I didn’t see it, I know that Aunty Shini would have done a good job).

Coming back, I think she’s such a gem of a person. She just lets her emotions loose (except her anger). When she is happy, you know that she is. When she is sad, however much she tries to hide it, you can know. Such a cheerful person. Whenever you see, you cannot stop yourself from smiling. For me, I always laugh when I see her because she is such an aunty. The bag she carries, the thick file she carries and the way she walks. Not forgetting that she began carrying a 1.5 litre bottle to school recently. Haha. Just so aunty-ish.

She doesn’t only look aunty-ish. But I think the way she thinks is also aunty-ish. Maybe that’s why I find her genuine. She is matured; that’s the bottomline. For her size, many would expect her to be childish and all. But she is sure matured. Although she just turned18 (something that she had been waiting for for long), I could sense her maturity during Puyal. That maturity really got us far during Puyal preparation.

(Sorry that I had to mention this). I remember how she cried when she got her H1 Tamil results. She was so upset that she didn’t clear that she cried (wasting so many tissues. Wonder how many trees you killed.) I could see the amount of effort she had put in, in order to pass it. I always felt guilty that being a H2 Tamil student, I didn’t help her much in improving her Tamil. If I had helped a little more, could she have done better??? Haha… I don’t know. I am pretty sure that she will do well for her As this year. That’s Aunty Shini. She’s smart, cute and aunty!!!

Someone I will cherish and never forget!!! A genuine friend that I have found in NY. Aunty Shini.
(and I will never forget DAG – …diacylglycerol…)


...And that's Aunty Shini...

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives
June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]