Innocent Decision
Sunday, November 23, 2008
 
Praveena's latest post didn't inspire me to think this. Haha... She thinks so though! You didn't Praveena. You know why. Cos one of my very first posts was about guys dancing bharatanatyam. Actually, it was the first post!

Well guys and bharathanatyam (Indian Classical Dance). Hmm… It is just a typical thinking that if guys learn bharathanatyam, they are either gay or sissy! WHY???!!!

In NYJC, I remember that we were given options to choose some kind of sport to learn for PE. Interestingly, dance was an option. So guys from different classes were having the same PE slot as mine and so when the teacher asked whether we are okay with dance, the instant reply was “NO! So gay lor.”

I was extremely shocked! I, personally have a passion for dance. I have to mention this here – Puyal killed my passion for dancing! Haha… I thought dance was a good ‘sport’ to take up since I never took up any dance classes. But then, I was denied that opportunity since the group of guys was totally against dance. The only type of dance that guys wouldn’t mind learning is either ‘hip-hop’ or ‘break dancing’. To them learning ‘salsa’, ‘line dancing’ and other forms of dance are all what sissies would do!

Coming back to bharathanatyam. Why is it that if a guy learns Indian Classical dance, the Indian community thinks that they are either gay or sissy? If they see someone dance bharathanatyam, they conclude that that guy is a sissy! People think like that because mostly girls learn it. And why don’t guys learn it? It because of the stereotype that any guys who learn it must be a sissy. So guys just forgo their interest of learning it (if they have the interest la) so that they can fit into the common perception of the Indian community.

What a waste! Guys are actually missing out on such a beautiful dance because of this stereotype. Bharathanatyam may be a graceful dance form or the dressing may not be so masculine, but to me, personally, I think that to be a complete dancer (if you are an Indian), one has to learn bharathanatyam. It makes a dancer complete! Maybe that’s one of the reasons why I have given up my passion for dancing. Because I have not learnt bharathanatyam and my mum is totally against it!

Every time during Navaraathiri (Nine nights), I always go to temples to watch the cultural performances. That’s the only way I could satisfy my thirst to enjoy the beauty of bharathanatyam. That’s also another reason why I make it a must to watch my god sister Kanegal perform at various temples. And sometimes, since I am rather close to her, I comment on her dance!

WHY WHY WHY??? Why did such stereotype come about? How did it actually come about???

Oh ya! Talking about dance and being sissy. Those who watched Dhool ’08. Remember our champions – Aerocratz. Their first dance performance on TV (for quarter finals). Their concept was splendid and awesome! When I watched the dance, I felt that the theme was acceptance of gays into the society (and as Vitz says – also the acceptance of ‘ugly people’ into the society). The guys, made an extreme effort to dress up like girls (even to the extent of painting their nails) to make the dance stay in our minds. But then, I don’t think anyone confirmed that the guys of Aerocratz are gays or sissies! Why is that so??? I’m not saying that they are. I’m just being practical. People say that learning bharathanatyam is being gay/sissy, how come Aerocratz wasn’t labeled such? Not that I want them to. Please do not misunderstand me! Hmmm… Something to think about???

And, all bharathanatyam dancers pay their respects to Lord Nadarajan before their dance. Hello. Lord Nadarajan is a MALE! He’s like the God of Dance! So are Indians trying to say that HE is a sissy too?

I know a few guys who learnt bharathanatyam. But sadly, they stopped halfway, especially when they reach their teenage years. Reason being – their peers laugh at them! Some don’t see the use of learning bharathanatyam in their future years and they don’t think they will have the ‘guts’ to perform in front of a large audience, because they are afraid that the public will label them as sissies!

We just don’t know how many guys have hidden talents and how many of them could be potential bharathanatyam dancers. Dancers better than their female counterparts! Thanks to Indians and their mindset!

Talk about dancers! Prabhu Deva and Lawrence Raghavendra are dancers too!!! Kamal learnt bharathanatyam too – he ain’t sissy!!! Jayam Ravi too – is he sissy??? Girls fall for him, which means he is supposed to be some ‘hot Indian hunk’.


Bharathanatyam is a splendid art form that every one has to know about, let alone learn.
It makes Indian dancers complete.
A fabulous piece of dance.
Simply PERFECT!
(My next post will be about the colour purple and the sterotype that guys who like purple are GAYS!)
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives
June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]