Innocent Decision
Saturday, January 10, 2009
 
Worried parents.
Well, I still remember my mum and sister sending me off to Tekong on 12th December 2008. They weren't exactly worried. But as a son, who has been rather close with my mum, for the past 18 years, I knew that my mum was worried/anxious about her second son going to NS.

Yes. People perceive NS as some torture camp. Not me though. I kinda accepted the fact that NS is a passage every guy has to go through. It's not like any guy has a choice. Whether or not it is tough, just go through it. Many have done it, why not you? That question is sort of famous in NS. Some boys I know start to dread the fact that they have to go NS when they are 14,15 years of age. That's quite young. Maybe a 16,17 wouldn't be that bad.

Well, parents seem to think otherwise. They don't worry about their son going to NS until the time comes. And when the time comes, they become super worried and think too much.
My mum is exceptional though and that's thanks to me. Because she knew that or sort of guessed that I was prepared for NS. More like I was waiting to go in.

When I saw the direct enlistees getting enlisted during the the early Jan, I could sense the emotions my mum would have gone through at that point of time. Especailly the part where the parents eat the "last lunch" with their sons. The atmosphere when I was getting enlisted was different since I was the one going in. The atmosphere when the others were enlisting was totally different because I was observing. It was rather solemn. Really. Parents just didn't want to show their sons that they were worried. They were all hiding their emotions because they knew that their sons were equally worried and upset that they would be stranded on an island far away from home.

And today I had a chance to witness parents/families having to part with a member. My God Sister Gayathri, who recently got married was flying off to UK with her husband for two years. The whole family was down - uncles and aunties inclduing - to send her off. Well, she wasn't that emotionally affected at first. But as time passed she became upset slowly.

And when the screen showed "gate open", that's when the tears started pouring. Yes she cried. Her parents cried. Her aunt cried. Well, it was really emotionally touching. To see someone close to heart crying because she has to leave her family here and go off with another loved one to somewhere far. Those emotions can't be simply explained by words. What I saw still stays in my eyes. Haha... Nice parents, nice daughter, nice family.

Life's just like that. Things happen the way they are supposed to. Just go with the flow. But never have regrets!!!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives
June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]